10 július 2020

Interview with Alexander Rybak in the Ukrainian magazine Отдохни!/Otdokhni, 26.6. 2020

Interview with Alexander Rybak in the Ukrainian magazine Отдохни!, 26.6. 2020

Отдохни!/Otdokhni/Relax! Nr. 27/2020 (paper issue)
Translated by Mónika Menyhért, revised by Marina Chirnitcaia

Private meeting

Alexander Rybak: "The only hope for a normal life is quitting medications"


Alexander Rybak, the winner of Eurovision 2009, popular singer and musician from Norway recently told about that he paid a terrible prize for his popularity. It turned out that the 34-year-old artist has been addicted to pills for 11 years, which affected his health very badly. Fortunately, Sasha ensured Otdokhni that his life is gradually getting better.



At 14, a boy hit me in the stomach 
so hard that it made my nerve system
 a big mess forever.
My first love, my first horror movie, 
all things emotionally left me with insomnia. 
So you can imagine how difficult it was
to fall asleep when I attended the world's
 biggest music show!
That’s when I got introduced
 to sleep medication.
- Sasha, you recently scared the fans by open confession: you have been addicted to sleeping pills and antidepressants for 11 years! Knowing you as a bright artist, it is hard to believe...
Actually, I did not want to scare fans, but to conform them (smiling). Because many of them suspected that there are some problems with my health. The last years, I smiled less and less, moved slowly. I am sure that they got happy about that I finally took my life into my own hands.

- When did you realize that it was time to get rid of addiction? Was there a turning point? 
The thing is that I tried to figure out for four years, why I have stomach pains every day. Why I cannot think straight, be happy about life or even breathe! And when I understood last year that all this suffering appeared between doses of diazepam and sleeping pills, I realized that my only hope for a normal life is quitting medications.


- Tell please about your way to healing. Did you take a rehabilitation course?
Yes, I started the course in this January. I am gradually getting recovered with the help of doctors. This fight doesn't come easy: After all, was addicted to pills for 11 years long! In the last years of the addiction, they made me weak and scared. It affected not only my brain but also my muscles and stomach and general my health condition. But this is not all: the addiction ruined my relationships with people and almost destroyed my will to live. I know there are many out there who are struggling with the same problems, I will be sharing my experiences with my followers on Instagram @rybakofficial
If it helps somebody, I will be happy.
At the same time, I want to emphasise that this is only my personal story. I am not an expert of sleeping pills and antidepressants. And that what ruined my life, can, in the contrary, save others'. Mental problems are very individual.

- Tell please, who stood by you in the difficult moments?
My family supported me so much. I am grateful to my parents and friends because they gave me time and freedom that was necessary for me.
Because people are different after all. Some may feel better in the company of friends, the constant interaction helps them. And me, I needed to lock inside my home. For a long time.






The music video to the song "Behind" will be published very soon.







It all will pass
My new song "Pozadi" (Behind) is about fighting through the darkness. For me personally, it is about horror I experienced during rehab. Headache, hallucinations, cold sweat and nightmares became my loyal friends every day. And on the darkest days it felt like knives through my stomach. In situations like these, all I can do is to lie down and laugh. Fortunately, I know that it will pass, says the artist.


NEW EXPERIENCE
- The pandemic has messed things up for many artists - how much it affected your plans of this year as an artist?
Of course, because of the quarantine, I lost lot of work, just like my colleagues in the show business. In the new circumstances I had to act anew.
For example, I recorded and arranged both my songs - Give Me Rain and My Whole World - by myself at home.
I am really glad for the experience I got. I had many plans for autumn, but due to the pandemic situation and trouble with the visa, I cannot share any news with you yet.


- You spent the quarantine in Oslo. What were you doing? Have you learned to cook, at least one new meal?
I have been living in the coolest region of Oslo already for 10 years. But I was touring so often that only discovered during the quarantine that I have not only one, but two swimming pools on the roof! Can you imagine?! So now I sunbathe every day. And if it is raining, I am recording videos. (smiling) And regarding cooking. Recently, I have started to eat less meat: my stomach doesn't digest it properly. Until I got weaned off pills. I prepare vegetables every day. You can imagine how boring it is...


I RARELY FALL IN LOVE
- Fans are very much interested in your private life. How would you characterise your status: "in relationship", "searching", "don't disturb"?
I keep the sign "don't disturb" for my future girlfriend. That's what kind of guy I am, haha! By the way, I think, the best ever gift you can hand over to a modern girl - give her full freedom! And a few diamonds. (smiling). I would like to find a girl who can also give me the same freedom. I don't need diamonds, though.

- You have 250 thousand followers on Instagram. How often do girls write to you? Do they make indecent proposals?
The fact that girls are constantly writing to me, I take it as a big compliment. And earlier, I used to blush from naked photos, erotic videos of beauties in bikini...
But now I became older and enjoy them, haha (smiling).


- And generally, are you a kind of falling-in-love type?
I fall in love, but rarely. I only fall in love with original girls, who are not shy about or afraid of anything.


- Do you have a life plan? I will marry at this age, will get children at that age...
My plan has always been focused on music. And I also want to skip the first marriage/family, so I don't have so much drama with the second one.


- What do you say to your Ukrainian colleagues, are you ready to collaborate with them?
Since I have the opportunity to talk to the coolest Ukrainian magazine, I will tell you: Now I have no power to give solo concerts, but I'll be glad if Ukrainian artists or orchestras invite me to go on tours with them!










Alexander Rybak the winner of the Eurovision Song Contest 2009 with his compositoon "Fairytale". And in 2018, he again represented Norway in the contest with the song "How You Write a Song" and made it to the finals.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése