15 június 2020

FAIRYTALE ABOUT THE FISHERMAN AND THE FISH, an interview with Alexander on ktoglavny.ru, 2009

FAIRYTALE ABOUT THE FISHERMAN AND THE FISH


Text: Daria Lyaskalo | Photo: Toben Sonstrod, Universal Music (Russia) | Published on ktoglavny.ru || Translated by Mónika Menyhért, revised by Marina C.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Russian title "Fairytale о рыбаке и рыбке" / "Fairy tale about the fisherman and the fish" refers to the fairy tale of Pushkin "Сказка о рыбаке и рыбке", and also to that the name Rybak means 'fisherman" in Russian.

We still began to arrange an interview with Alexander Rybak in September - as soon as his upcoming concert in Rostov became known. “Rybak does not give interviews to fancy magazines" summed up several agents in these negotiations. Apart from us, only two Russian magazines got a chance for a personal interview with him.
According to rumors, one - for a lot of money, the second - according to a long-standing friendship with someone from his circle. In the office, where since May the song Fairytale sounded simultaneously from four mobile phones, the search for its author became something like hook-fishing competition without bait, that is, without personal acquaintances and without money.
Finally, we still got the phone number of the concert organiser. The conversation was postponed multiple times. At first, the musician promised a talk during a Moscow visit, but the schedule was too busy. Then an international call to Norway was postponed a couple of times. Finally, I dial the director at 10:30 Norwegian time, as agreed. To Russia, the difference is two hours. “You called too late, we waited for your call two hours ago, now we are on the plane. Call us when we land in St. Petersburg.”
When I called again, Alexander Rybak stood in line for passport control. Apparently, realizing that there was nowhere to retreat, he agreed to answer our questions. Moreover, in Russian, which he almost never used from the age of six until victory at Eurovision.

- After winning the Eurovision Song Contest, three countries consider you to be their artist. And what is Russian, Norwegian and Belarusian about you?

- Oh, that's a very good question. In my opinion, Belarus and Russia, their cultures and climate are very similar. And I have a lot of nostalgia associated with them. When it is snowing or raining, I am very pleased, it reminds me of my childhood. And in Norway there are high mountains, everyone has a big smile on their face... But I’m still a Belarusian. I was taken out of Belarus. And my uncle lives in Russia - this is the only relationship to relatives in Russia. Although I am a quarter Russian.

- Who is the most authoritative musician in your musical family today?

- It seems to be me. When I first went to music school, I already began to argue with my dad and play everything in my own way. I listened to his opinion, understood why he insisted that we need to practice a lot. But I didn’t want to play classical works as my dad thinks is right. Whenever you begin to do something new, it is very difficult for you to convince others that it is... that you can become famous, to get... how to say "success" in Russian?



- Success. (tells the Russian word "успех" - t.n.)

- Yes, to get succeeded. 
So it was necessary to suffer a little, wait until my goal is achieved. But I didn’t tell anyone: “You will see, I will win Eurovision.” I silently worked, waited and hoped.

- Your parents were not embarrassed by your interest in popular music?

- I have always had good arguments.



- Of a financial nature?
- Not only. Most of all I like melodies, simple melodies. The main thing is that they are beautiful and harmonious, the genre is not important for me at all. For example, when you celebrate a holiday, then it is much better to listen to fast popular music. And when you want to relax, think about, without drums, without rhythm, then a great classical fits. When dad told me that, for example, Bach wrote this here like that, you need to play a flagolet, I argued, because it is much more beautiful to play a usual note.

- Did you argue with Bach?
- Well, it's easy to argue with him - he is died.

- You woke up famous - is that about you?
- What do you mean? If I am famous or am I going the right way? Sorry, my Russian is not very good, I did not understand the question.

- The fame hit you suddenly?
- Ah... No, it's not about me. At first I participated in a Norwegian project similar to your Star Factory. But there I was not very successfull, then there was a project... I don’t know if you have an analogue. Russian Talents or something? Anyway, it doesn’t matter... Before Eurovision I won a couple more national competitions. And I doubted whether it’s worth going to the European competition, because it would be indecent to win the third.

The Norwegian of Belarusian origin, winner of Eurovision
 and the author of the most popular ringtone in Russia in 2009, 
Alexander Rybak talked to Glavny

- So, you have been popular in Norway for a long time, Russia fell in love with you after Eurovision. What about the rest of Europe? Does your song sound from French cell phones?
- Now I’m not at all popular in Norway - people found out that our Channel One has no money for broadcasting the Football World Cup because it was all spent on Eurovision. But for those of my fans who are not interested in football, nothing has changed. They perceive me there as a national hero, but this is understandable, I represented the country. But the fact that people in Russia welcome me so well was unexpected and very pleasant. And the rest of Europe... In France and Germany there is my brand, Universal, the best one. But its popularity is not very big. Because no more than five percent of the population watched Eurovision there. It’s not easy to be everywhere ...
It is difficult to break through in all Scandinavia: in Denmark, Sweden, Finland. And Sweden is a different story in general. My music is popular there, and I sell a lot of discs there, but all the music critics give me “one” and “two” (dice scores, a method of review in Norwegian newspapers - t.n.). They don't like it. Norwegians give me the "five" - ​​"six", but the Swedes do not like it.

- Since your face became familiar, you must have received many different offers. Which one was the most unusual?
- Unusual ... Yeah, well. My uncle just suggested to put my face on a mayonnaise jar from Belarus. Actually, you know, a couple of days ago I began to think about preparing some kind of story for an interview. 
Because they ask me questions, for example "what was the most embarrassing thing happened in the summer." And honestly, I don’t remember anything and can’t answer properly. I have so much going on right now that I don’t remember anything. Various promotional offers arrive all the time - to present clothes, products and such. And not for millions, of course, but for many hundreds of thousands. I have had a quite  strangely arranged life recently... People pay me money so that I have fun.

- How do you feel about the comparison with Dima Bilan?
- Very well. I like his energy on stage, it feels like he works all the time. How many times has he sung his song "Believe me"? Two thousand times, at least. And it still gives people energy. I try to perform on the same principle too - to not forget that people pay money for my concerts, which means they want me to get them into good mood. But you can also listen to music on disk, for a lower price.

- Aren't you afraid to become the author of one song?
-But this is just the biggest dream! First of all, I am not an artist, but a composer. And what could be more desirable for a composer than to write a hit. I will be very offended if the song Fairytale is forgotten. Even if I only have one.
I will be glad if after many years they say that it is Alexander Rybak - the author of this song. Of course, I have many compositions, and I will still write more. And not only to perform them by myself , but also for different artists. But it’s not important how many melodies of mine will make people remember me, the main thing is not to forgot it at all.

- On November 23, the album “Fairytales. Зимняя сказка" will be re-released. Why did you re-release it?
- We will translate two or three songs into Russian. This re-issue is only for those who have not yet bought the album, but want to buy. So now they’d better wait a bit until the release of its new version. This is only for Russian fans.

- And which Russian musicians are known in Norway?
- Tatu. No one else in the history of Russian show business has received such a status in Scandinavia as these girls. Because no one else tried to understand Scandinavian music. And they created an international style in which there are also Norwegian features... Of course, in Norway, as in the whole world, they also know Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov. These, by the way, are my favorite composers. I really like Russian orchestration.

Watch a video of a performance in the concert
 in Rostov on the 24th November 2009 here:

- You will have a concert in our city soon. When did you first hear about Rostov-on-Don?
- Dad told me about it. When he found out that I was coming here, he said that he has been here, and it was a very beautiful city, and advised me that if I have time, I should definitely see it. I hope you have a good audience too. They will probably sing along when I sing Russian songs. Sorry, I have to hang up, there is a huge queue waiting for me. I have not completely become pretentious yet.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése