20 december 2019

The song "Europe's Skies" was born on the Maidan square, article in Star Brothers, 2.7.2014



The song "Europe's Skies" was born on the Maidan square


An interview by Natalya Milevskaya and Juliya Yarmarkina, published in the online-journal Star Brothers Nr. 2014 #04on July 2, 2014 
- Excerpts - 

- Translated by Mónika Menyhért (who is not ative neither in Russian or in English language, so any correction is welcomed and appreciated) -

Alexander came to the presentation of his music video "Into a Fantasy" to Kyiv.
He'll answer some questions related to his visit and the song and collaboration with DreamWorks, his plans and more...

- Sasha, you wrote the soundtrack to the film, how much it is harder than just writing any song?
- I did not write this song on demand, but on own initiative. Although it is even more difficult. Because you don't prove others, but to yoursef that you are really worthy of this project. For me, it was not a project until DreamWorks approved. It was a dream of me I was working on. I composed the song "Into a Fantasy". I paid all costs of the recording on my own. We sent the finished version to America. 
They did not answer me for 2 weeks, and while working on the song, I was dreaming about that it would become a soundtrack, but when I sent it, I stopped thinking about that. While I'm working on a project, I am optimist, and after have finished it, I am realist. 
Their answer was quite unexpected and very delightful for me. I always tell in interviews that you need to believe in yourself and in your dreams, and even if your ideas don't come true, you must not be discouraged.
[...]
I had this melody in my mind from the very beginning, and believed, it definitely fits my new musical (I am writing a musical in Norwegian right now). I tried to write the text in Norwegian, but then I realized, this should be an English song. And as soon as the soundtrack of the movie "How to train your dragon 2." was out, I thought, this song really fits this animated movie. So I decided to send it the producers for sure.
- If you were allowed to pick a soundtrack for your life, which song it would be?
- It's  "Fairytale". The song is about that it was the greatest love in the world. But when we broke up, I discovered a second, not less important thing: my talent. Although I always have had a talent (laughs). I was just playing the violin all my life long. And at that moment, I suddenly realized that I have originally had a mix of the Slavic and Norwegian culture in me. I remember, I was suffering for about five years after broken up with my girlfriend. And only when I qualified in Eurovision, I understood that my life has got a meaning, and that destiny does exist. And that was when I calmed down.
- As I understood, you are now completely immersed in the creative work.
- Yes. And this time, of course, girls are much more interested in me. Which is very unfair when you want to enjoy some romance with a girl, she can't feel that. But when this side of life is not so important at the moment, then they all come running to you (laughs).
- And do you believe that fairy tales exist not only in books, but in life too?
- I believe that creating something magical is inside of us. Not through stories, but by feelings. I am not sure, if I'm making any sense, but big succes, big events should not necessarily be outside, but they can also be inside. For example, I was very happy, when I sent the song to DreamWorks. And while working on it, I was very content with myself. I prayed to God, when I was alone. 
I was trying to hold my feelings. No matter if cried or laughed, I was really filled of feelings. And even when DreamWorks had refused, it all would have been a success in me.
[...]
- If you were offered to play in a fairy tale or animated movie, which fairy tale and role that would be?
- Peer Gynt by Henrik Ibsen. It's a Norwegian tale. The protagonist is 50 years old, but he feels like a child. He can never settle down, and I will probably be like that.
[...]
- You are keen on LEGO. Are you still enthusiastic about building?
- I have a big team I give orders and instructions to. I always ask to work on them or on other things - I need always to have a big plan. And it is me who is responsible for everything. And LEGO tells me that this or that cube should be put here, and then I don't have to think about responsinility. LEGO already created its plan, which I only need to carry out.
- You are now working on a musical fairy tale. What it is going to be about and what role you've in it?
- I think, it is at least one year until this project gets realized. It is kind of a tradition since childhood. My parents bought me vinyl records with fairy tales, which I loved. But now it all is available on the internet and much easier to find them. And my idea was to create an audio-tale so kids can listen to it while sitting on the carpet. I'd play the lead role, of course. I play Trolle, who doesn't rely on anyone, lives in the forest alone and playing the violin. It is not me (laughs). It just hapened like this. There are many versatile songs I have written. He, of course, meets a girl, and they have feelings to each other. I want to keep up the old tradition of those records both by the songs and the narrator's role. 
[...]
- Did your colleagues and friends talk you out of visiting Ukraine (referring to the violent turn of the demonstrations on Maidan square Kyiv in that year - translator's  note), as many artists cancel their visits to our country?
- If living with fear for the entire life, then what's the point of it? Even in Norway.. everybody thinks there is absolutely no danger. And then an Anders Breivik shows up and guns down many kids. No one and never knows what comes next.  That's why I made this new music video "Into a Fantasy"! It warns you that no one knows what will happen in 2 hours. All we have is Now. We need to smile at each other and live for the moment.


Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése