05 február 2021

"Wonderland" - Alexander Rybak's "Fairytale" - covered in Afrikaans language




A video that was published recently by the Eurovision page jointly run by independent websites ESCKAZ.com, ESCCovers.com, messageboard Euroforum and fanclub Eurovision South Africa made me aware of a great cover of Alexander's "Fairytale" by Lee Scott - in an own interpretation - with new lyrics in Afrikaans written by Carl-Piet van Eden, and it is called "Wonderland".


It was released on his album in 2010

Listen to the song here

Lyrics in Afrikaans
by Carl-Piet van Eden

Jare terug toe ek nog jonk was.
Het ek geglo ek dra 'n kroon.
En speels my ryk en eer verdedig
teen älmal wat my wou onttroon.

Ek verlang na die wonderland
waar perde vlieg en drake praat,
want daar het ek my drome waar gemaak.
In die wereld van 'n kind.

Daar was towenaars en bose hekse,
'n prinses mooi wat vir my wag
om haar weer te red na sy ontvoer is
- en hand aan hand dan saam te lag.

Nou's ek groot, my land vergete.
Die prinses, towernaars en draak.
Maar soms dink ek as ek net hard kan wens,
die wonderland weer sal ontwaak.

Dis my wonderland (yeah) waar perde vlieg en drake praat, 
want daar het ek my drome waar gemaak
in die wereld van 'n kind.

Lyrics in Afrikaans
provided by ESCKAZ.com
(revised by Frans Roumen)

Years ago when I was still young,
I believed that I wore a crown.
And I playfully defended my kingdom and my honor
against everybody that wanted to unthrown me.

I long for the wonderland
where horses fly and dragons talk,
for there I made my dreams come true
in the world of a child.

There were magicians and wicked witches
a beautiful princess waiting for me
to come and rescue her after she had been kidnapped
- and then laugh together hand in hand.

Now I am big, my country forgotten,
the princes, magicians and dragons.
But sometimes I think if I wish hard enough,
that wonderland will wake up again.

It is my wonderland (yeah) where horses fly and dragons talk,
for there I made my dreams come true
In the world of a child.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése