01 február 2021

Alexander Rybak performed at the Gjerdrum memorial concert 31.1.2021 - article & videos


A memorial concert was held in Gjerdrum Kulturhus on the 31st January 2021 for the victims of the landslide in Gjerdrum 31.12.2020. 
Beside videos and photos, you'll find excerpts from an article in the local paper below, where Alexander and Maiken were interviewed.

At the concert performed many well-known Norwegian artists, among them Alexander as well. It was broadcast on the state channel NRK.

Photo AR FB
Alexander's post:
On the night of December 30, people in Gjerdrum lost their loved ones and their homes. I have made a song about this countryside which I love so much, and I will sing it tonight amongst other songs.
We don’t pretend that playing some music will make everything fine again, but it moves me to see what the people in the community are doing for each other in these dark times.💪🏼💕🙏🏼

As one of the other artists, he also said a few words before the concert:
"I hope that music helps because it often does...
I remember I loved to stay in Gjerdrum

Alexander performed three songs,
two of them together with two other artists:

1. "Song from a Secret Garden" by Rolf Løvland - with Rolf Løvland at the piano
2. "Thank you" by Rolf Løvland/Brendon Graham - with Maiken Kroken

Watch them in this video: 
... and on Alexander's --> YouTube-channel

He has also written a new song specially for this occasion,
which is called "Mitt andre hjem" (My Second Home)

His intro in English:
"I have spent much time in Gjerdrum, a place that gave me much peace, security, strength. Therefore it was very difficult to take in what had happened and that's why I wrote this song in the hope that  peace and strength will return."

listen to it on -->Spotify



Lyrics
in Norwegian

Naturligvis forandrer vi oss dag for dag
Det er slik vi vokser, slik vi flyr forbi
Men en bit av landet
har også blitt en bit av meg
En liten bit som gjør meg lykkelig.

Og når himmelen raser
og støyen blir uutholdelig
Og sjelen deles i hundre tusen skår
Da søker jeg din trygghet og din varme hånd

Og du reiser meg opp igjen, som i alle år
Du lyser en vei å gå
Gir meg ro til vi sees igjen
Og veien er lengre nå

Men jeg vet jeg finner frem
For du er mitt andre hjem
Og nok en gang
har livet ført meg veek fra deg
og slengt meg inn i nytt og ukjent land

Men den styrken du har gitt meg,
tar jeg vare på.
Som sjelen min vil lengte mot din favn,
skal alle minnene, de varme minnene,
ro meg trygt i havn

Du lyser en vei å gå
Gir meg ro til vi sees igjen
Og veien er lengre nå
Men jeg vet jeg finner frem
For du er mitt andre hjem


Lyrics video:



in English

Of course, we change day by day
That's how we grow, how we fly past
But a piece of land
has also become a bit of me
A little bit that makes me happy

And when the sky rages
and the noise becomes unbearable
And the soul is divided into a hundred thousand pieces
Then I seek your security and your warm hand
And you raise me up again, as in all years

You light a way to go
Give me peace until we meet again
And the road is longer now
But I know I'll find a way out

Because you're my second home
And once again
life has taken me away from you
and threw me into a new and unknown land

But the strength you have given me
I take care of
As my soul longs for your embrace,
shall all the memories, the warm memories,
calm me down safely in port

You light a way to go
Give me peace until we meet again
And the road is longer now
But I know I'll find a way out
Because you're my second home


Article in Romerikes Blad 

(excerpts)
Published: 31.1.2021 || (-->
text in Norwegian) || Translated by Mónika Menyhért

Maiken Kroken (34) from Gjerdrum sings the song "Thank You" and Alexander Rybak joined on violin.

Alexander Rybak contributed to the song "Thank you" which Maiken Kroken performed
 at the memorial concert in Gjerdrum
Photo: Per Sveinung Larsen

Maiken Kroken from Gjerdrum played
 a song together with Rybak.
Photo: Per Sveinung Larsen

A horrible feeling
- It feels good to be able to join this concert. I think everyone has had a wish for this since the terrible thing happened just before New Year's Eve. Besides, it's nice to be invited, says Maiken Kroken, who lives only two kilometers from where the landslide happened.

She feels it is good to contribute with song and music in the special time and tells about the special morning of 30 December.

Maiken woke up to a message from her mother that she did not need to stress about delivering children in the kindergarten that day because there had been a landslide nearby.

- My daughter goes to the kindergarten that is only a few meters from the edge of the avalanche, but I did not fully understand the seriousness until I turned on the news. Then I got a nasty feeling and started thinking about who I knew in the area. Gjerdrum is a small place and we know each other. Even then, I knew some of those who died, some of those who lost their homes and several of the evacuees, says Kroken.

Interaction between the friends Knut-Bjørnar Asphol, musical director and Alexander Rybak.
Photo: Per Sveinung Larsen

Affected by what has happened
Alexander Rybak is well known in Gjerdrum and has several times lived at the home of the memorial concert's musical director, Knut-Bjørnar Asphol. In addition to playing the song "My second home" which was written for the occasion, he was on stage with Rolf Løvland and Maiken Kroken.

- It is completely natural to be part of this here. For me, Gjerdrum has been a safe base I can come to and live in for periods. Therefore, it is very strange to see a place that has been safe for me, become insecure. The song I have made is an attempt to get the security back, says an exhausted Alexander Rybak to Romerikes Blad.

He thought it was great to play with other musicians, at the same time as it is sad.

- We meet because something terrible has happened and everyone is affected by what has happened. But putting away the party melodies, being allowed to make music that is different and adapted in this setting is very special, he says.

Rybak collaborates in performances with Rolf Løvland, Knut-Bjørnar and not least Maiken Kroken.

- Maiken is a very versatile musician and therefore it is nice to play with someone who understands every phrase with the heart. I am happy to be allowed to participate in this memorial concert, Rybak concludes.

Met at the BBC
It is the first time Maiken Kroken played with Rybak, but she met him 11 years ago at the BBC in London during the British ESC-selection show where she participated with the girl group The Miss Fitz.

- I was in the British ESC-selection show and it was a nice meeting with Rybak at that time. He had the interval act because he won the international final the year before. It will be extra fun to play together in Gjerdrum, says Maiken Kroken, who had three years of music studies in England and a year where she participated in several auditions and music-related jobs before returning home.

Alexander Rybak played "Song from a Secret Garden" together with Rolf Løvland 
Photo: Per Sveinung Larsen



(The translator of this article is not native either in the Norwegian or the English language, so any correction is welcomed and appreciated.)

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése