26 június 2020

Alexander Rybak filmed with Will Ferrell: - Therapy || ARTICLES-INTERVIEWS on. vg.no, db.no and nrk.no, 26.6.2020



Watch the medley
Song-A-Long: "Believe", "Ray Of Light", "Waterlo", "Ne partez pas Sans Moi" and "I Gotta Feeling"
 of the Eurovision-artists in the movie
The movie tracks on --> Spotify:

When Alexander Rybak, 34, took part in the movie set for the Eurovision comedy in London last year, he was still on sleeping pills and had anxiety.

Author: Catherine Gonsholt Ighanian
Published on vg.no | 26.6.2020

-- Translated by Mónika Menyhért who is not native either in the Norwegian or in the English language, so any correction is welcomed and appreciated. --

For nearly a year, Rybak has kept the secret of appearing in the Netflix movie "Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga" with Will Ferrell (52) and Rachel McAdams (41).

- I like to keep the cards close to my chest, says Rybak to VG.
Now he looks forward to the premiere, because he has not yet seen the result. The movie comedy about the legendary music competition premieres on Netflix on Friday, June 26.

Just over three weeks have passed since Rybak via Instagram revealed another secret to fans, namely that for 11 years - ever since the Eurovision success in Moscow in 2009 - he has been addicted to sleeping pills and antidepressants.
2020 has so far offered a four-month sick leave and rehabilitation.
During the filming of the Eurovision movie in August last year, the 34-year-old did not do well, even though the two days ended up as an adventure.

- It was like being invited to a ball. We filmed in a large castle, where "Transformers" and "X-men" were also recorded. I was really looking forward to introducing myself to the director David Dobkin and saying I'm a big fan. But the recording took place in the evening, and I was still on sleeping pills then, says Rybak.

Of course, the violin was there, too.
When he showed up, there was an overwhelming setting with 200 extras present. They were about to start filming when Dobkin, 35, spotted Rybak shouting "stop."
- I became very nervous, but then suddenly the director ran past all 200 and gave me a t r u l y good hug. It was the most wonderful moment I've known in a long time. For me, it was therapy to meet that gang.

The film revolves around Icelandic Lars Erickssong (played by Will Ferrell) and Sigrit Ericksdottir (Rachel McAdams), who get the chance to represent their country in Eurovision. Rybak emphasizes that there is no big scene in which he participates.
- We are several artists who appear in a dream season of an ABBA song. But I have my violin with me, and I was very happy with my positioning - midway between Ferrell and McAdams, says an excited Rybak.

IN CENTER: Alexander Rybak surrounded by director David Dobkin (left)
 and lead actor Will Ferrell (right) Photo: CLAIRE FOLGER / NETFLIX

For Rybak, who should have performed in the interval act of the canceled Eurovision Song Contest in the Netherlands in May, the film is a solid plaster on the wound.
- I had been looking forward to the Netherlands and thought it would be my very first job after rehabilitation. But as May approached, I hesitated. The body was still starving and it could have been difficult to sing in front of 200 million people.

Fighting back tears
Rybak has another MGP legend as his great role model, namely the recently deceased Jahn Teigen. It was an honor to sing at the funeral in March - a few days before the restrictions due to the corona-pandemic. 
But Rybak was not healthy himself.
- First of all, it was very painful and sad, and I had to struggle not to cry. At the same time, I felt both symptoms of withdrawal and nerves at that moment, he admits.

- How are you right now?
- I feel much better. I go a little faster every day, says Rybak, who is overwhelmed by all the fans' messages of support.
But I can only share my story. It is impossible for me to give advice to others, because I am not an expert. I am not even an expert of my own body.

Many people think Rybak is brave as a teller.
- But I think it was braver to bear this alone for 11 years and not to complain, he says.

Despite it was the Eurovision breakthrough that put Rybak on an unhealthy health journey, he loves the music competition and does not preclude being able to participate again.
- But until then, there are a few more years. When I join, I feel like I'm taking the place of someone else.
START: Alexander Rybak at the press conference
 after the victory in 2009 in Moscow.
Photo: MAXIM SHIPENKOV / EPA

That Ferrell has parodied the phenomenon, Rybak is comfortable with. Ferrell, who has a Swedish wife and is a Eurovision fan himself, has written the script himself.
- They talked to me about both "Fairytale" and my participation in 2018. I realized that they did not p r e t e n d Eurovision interest. They make fun, but with heart, says Rybak, who describes Ferrell as a "kind and intellectual" interlocutor.
- When the cameras stopped, he wanted to talk about violins. He has kids who are interested in music, and we talked about everything from Bach to Bocelli. It was reassuring.

(From the article on db.no:)
The Eurovision crown prince tells that he got starstruck being on the same set as Will Ferrell.
– But Will is good at «ice breakers», and called my winning song something new every time we talked. He makes me laugh both in front and behind the camera, Alexander says.


EUROVISION MOOD: Alexander Rybak at the movie set in London
and an enthusiastic Will Ferrell in the background. 
Photo: CLAIRE FOLGER / NETFLIX
Rybak is not the only Eurovision star who participates. Jamala (36), Netta (27), Loreen (36) and Conchita Wurst (31) also appear. In addition, the voice of Swedish Molly Sandén (27) is heard when McAdams "sings" to the song "Volcano Man".
How much he got in fees for participating, Rybak is silent about.
- Maybe Loreen is in Sweden and has received a completely different sum, he grins.

A number of other celebrities appear in the film, such as Mikael Persbrandt (56), Pierce Brosnan (67), Dan Stevens (37) and Demi Lovato (27).

- I was also going to be on the red carpet in the Netherlands for the film and had been looking forward to greeting Pierce Brosnan. But that never happened. 

Rybak has released new singles in the last month.
- "Give Me Rain" is about fighting through the nightmare of my life. "My Whole World" I wrote in the United States when I was heartbroken over my ex-girlfriend.

--------------------------------------

Alexander met the journalist of nrk.no 
when he saw the scene for the first time 
Excerpts from the interview to nrk.no 
"I felt like I was among friends"


- It was a great honor to be invited..
....
- I was a real starstruck of all the performers at the set, especially Rachel McAdams.
....
Rybak got along well with many of those he worked with in London.
....
- It was a big fun to become buddies with Will Ferrell and the director David Dobkin. He is a wonderful director.
....
In the film, he plays himself, and offers fiddle play there that is supposed to be some kind of a dream sequence in the film.
- There is a lot of make-up and control for the scene. That's just how it should be then. Damn, it's absolutely incredible. So fun!


The video report on NRK1 in the news programme the same night, 
with English translation - magyar felirattal is 

In his home studio, he had to make forty recordings of his playing fiddle, to ensure that those behind the production were satisfied.

But the times he was at the set, he had a lot of fun.
- It was just fun, playing himself and flirting with Will Ferrell.
....
Anxiety could be a challenge
Not long ago, he opened up about the fact that he has anxiety and depression, and that he has struggled with pill addiction in that regard. It could have been a challenge at the film set.
Usually, he associates a big amount of people with fear.
- But exactly how I noticed that it is not about the number of people, but whether I get the feeling of being pushed into a corner or that I am in a good and safe atmosphere. If I feel like I'm among friends, it doesn't matter if I have 2 or 2002 people around me, he says.
***
Alexander was also interviewed by The New York Times on the  movie, Eurovision and his participation.
Read the article --> HERE

Alexander got inspired by the song "Volcano Man" from the movie...



.... just like other "legendary Eurovision contestants". 
Netflix made a compilation of their covers:

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése